Sunday, August 13, 2017

Women Skippers Race weekend

I didn't think I'd be able to race this year, as we didn't have the mast in until the end of July.  A couple of friends had offered to take me along as crew, but I was happy to decline, and skipper my own boat.  Tina and Susan had planned to come for the race, but realized that they had a conflict.  I did get one extra crew member in Julien, but as I was the only woman on board, I was at the helm for the whole race.  After a very slow start, we had a great sail to the Dufferin mark and back, and Julien enjoyed his first race.  
Genia, Julien, Ed

We ended up 12th out of 17 boats, and fourth in our division.  I have to work on that start, as it's hard to make up the time with a poor start.

In a moment of weakness, I had offered to help with the barbecue after the race.  It almost didn't happen, because when I went to pick up the sausages, the deli didn't have a record of my order!  They had a fresh batch of sausages in the cooker, and I came back a couple of hours later once the sausages were cool enough to pack.  The barbeque went well, and we were actually able to sit on the lawn.

Hayley, Derek
Sunday we again took advantage of great conditions and had Derek and Hayley out for a sail.  We caught them between visits to their cottage in New Brunswick.  Another perfect sail.