Monday, July 28, 2014

Bad Karma?

On Sunday, the wind was really blowing from the west, and with no particular place to be, we opted to stay in Wilson for another 2 nights.  Since IYC and Sunset Marina do not offer wi-fi, I walked over to Tuscarora to ask whether I could use their internet for an hour or so.  The senior steward apologized for not being able to allow that, and informed me that technically, I shouldn't even be on the grounds since I was not staying there, and was not a guest of anyone who was staying there.  I think that's the first time I've had anyone at any yacht club around the lake be less than hospitable.  
Ed and I thought we'd try the heated pool at IYC, only to discover that it isn't being heated this year.  I only got my ankles wet, but Ed managed to get waist deep before deciding it was just too cold to be fun.
Sunday night, storms blew through, and we were first blown onto the dock, then by morning, were being blown into the boat beside us.  Lucky we have lots of fenders.  We took a walk to Tuscarora YC to see what the sea state was, and the waves were really crashing into the channel walls.  We saw a crane at TYC, and thought it was an odd time for someone to be hauling anything with the winds as strong as they were.  It turned out to be a dock that was being  lifted, and we guessed that the strong winds must have ripped it off the wall or the stern piling.  Since these are not floating docks, we wondered whether any boats were damaged.